August's Featured Articles
Mexican Fiesta Wraps
Mexican Fiesta WrapsIn this month's newsletter, Angela Coate-Hermes, educates us about the Ayurvedic nutrition system which revolves around six different food groups, known as "the six tastes," which are sweet, sour, salty, bitter, astringent, and pungent. She suggests consuming foods from each of the six tastes at every meal in order to meet your nutritional needs. This recipe includes all six tastes and creates a little party in your mouth! Enjoy.
Wraps: 5-6 Swiss chard green leaves – cut away from stems, then cut in half if large leaves. If the leaves are smaller then just leave as is. (I love to get these at my local farmer's market)
- ½ zucchini – chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage – chopped
- 5 dandelion leaves – chopped
- ¼ cup sprouted red lentils
- 1 cup broccoli sprouts – chopped
- 2 celery stalks – chopped
- 1 carrot – chopped
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves – chopped
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves – chopped
- ¼ cup white or red onion – chopped
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- Juice of one lime
- One avocado - chopped
Dressing for filling:
- 2 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- squeeze of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- handful of currents or ½ chopped apple
You can add more of any of the above ingredients to suit your own taste buds!
- Place all filling ingredients in medium sized bowl and add dressing.
- Toss until filling is evenly coated.
- Scoop a few spoonfuls of filling in swiss chard leaf and roll up.
By: Katy Joy Freeman, Raw Food Chef